Non-Fiction - 4.5 stars
In order to realize the American Dream, Craig Ferguson journeyed from the mean streets of Glasgow, Scotland, to Hollywood. In American on Purpose, he recounts his stumbles through several attempts to make his mark—as a punk rock musician, a construction worker, a bouncer, and, tragically, a modern dancer.
In order to realize the American Dream, Craig Ferguson journeyed from the mean streets of Glasgow, Scotland, to Hollywood. In American on Purpose, he recounts his stumbles through several attempts to make his mark—as a punk rock musician, a construction worker, a bouncer, and, tragically, a modern dancer.
Ferguson repeatedly used and abused drugs and alcohol, addictions that eventually led to an aborted suicide attempt. His success as a standup comedian eventually let to success on The Drew Carey Show and later as host of the Late Late Show. According to Ferguson, though, his greatest triumph was his decision to become a U.S. citizen, a milestone he achieved in early 2008.
I laughed out loud nearly the entire time I read this book. Ferguson is very matter-of-fact about his addiction, his failure, and his love, but his true talent is storytelling. I loved it, and I knew I liked him for a reason.

No comments:
Post a Comment