About Me

My photo
George, Dawn, Zachary, Megan, Danny, and Harley.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Historical Fiction - 3.5 stars
We picked this book up while in Cherokee, NC this summer, and because it was from the author of Cold Mountain, I was excited to read this tale of southerners, mountain folk, and Cherokees before, during, and after the removal to the West. I was not disappointed with the descriptions of life in North Carolina in the early 1800s, and I thoroughly enjoyed Frazier's delving into the politics involved from Jackson's reign and beyond (what can I say, I'm a nerd!). I would have given the book 4 stars had it not been for Frazier opining about the ways of men and women, and the philosophies of life that he offers so freely. He shows his age and generation in these opinions, and I am not sure they reflect the time period accurately. What is accurate to the time period is the completely male-centric point of view of the book. In all, I enjoyed the history, and it is definitely worth the read if you have any interest in the time period or in the Cherokee story.   

No comments:

Post a Comment